Piano by number for children's piano lessons

 

 

Walden Pond Press publishes the PIANO BY NUMBER series

Should Parents Force Children To Take Piano Lessons?

 

 

HOME

PRODUCTS

ALL PRODUCTS

PIANO IS EASY

I CAN READ MUSIC

BIG BOOK OF SONGS

CHRISTMAS CAROLS  

TEACH YOURSELF PIANO

FAVORITE HYMNS

EASY CLASSICAL PIANO

GAMES FOR THE PIANO

CHORD DICTIONARY

 

SAMPLE PAGES

PIANO IS EASY

I CAN READ MUSIC

BIG BOOK OF SONGS

CHRISTMAS CAROLS

FAVORITE HYMNS

EASY CLASSICAL PIANO

CHORD DICTIONARY

 

CONTENT / READING

ARCHIVES / ALL READING

ARTICLES

FREE EBOOK

ADVICE COLUMN

AGE TO START

FINGERING

PRACTICING

CHILD'S POINT OF VIEW

LEARN TO READ MUSIC

 

SONG LISTS 

PIANO IS EASY

BIG BOOK OF SONGS

CHRISTMAS CAROLS

TEACH YOURSELF PIANO

EASY CLASSICAL PIANO

FAVORITE HYMNS

 

FEATURES

SONG LIST

PUBLISHER

AUTHORS

SATISFIED CUSTOMERS  

SPECIAL EDUCATION

HOME SCHOOLING  

 

UTILITIES

PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS

PRICE LIST

FAQ

ABOUT US

CONTACT

PRESS ROOM

PRIVACY POLICY

RETURN POLICY

EMAIL

SITE MAP

PURCHASE KEYBOARD

 

 

 

 

This is our original site

Please click here to visit our main site

 

Start piano at home with your child

Start with numbers, then read music

Books for Younger Kids      Books for Older Kids      Books for Adults

 

SHOULD PARENTS FORCE CHILDREN TO TAKE PIANO LESSONS?

If the teacher was a brilliant Svengali who could get any kid to play and enjoy it, the answer is yes.

If the teacher is the average type, going from one page to the next in the old or new texts, then the answer is definitely no.

The former is very hard to find.

The latter is what almost every piano teacher is.

Given the industry statistics, your child has a 1 in 10 chance of playing the piano and enjoying the experience if they start with the dogmatists and disciplinarians.

Those are very bad odds, especially if you pay $20 to $80 a week for the privilege of watching your child turn their back on the piano.

Step back for a moment and ask yourself what you really want from your child and the piano. 

  • If you think a musical career is a good idea, think again. Music is a cruel, brutal business nowadays. If you enter it, you have a 99% chance of failure. The other 1% starve.

  • If you simply want your child to be able to play and enjoy it, then you have selected a reasonable goal.

Now, select the teacher that will make this possible. You probably want the teacher with the highest credentials, right? You think that assures you of a quality musical education for your child.

But the best conventional piano teacher will only try to inculcate your child with the ABC's of the piano, because that's how they were taught, and they cannot conceive of any other way. The ABC's are fine, but the ABC's of the piano are infinitely more complex and physical as well.

In other words, send your child to a conventional piano teacher and they'll treat your child as if they were headed to Carnegie Hall. This dogmatism will turn off any normal child who is not remarkably gifted at the piano in the first place.

And if your child cannot understand this outdated curriculum, it's the child's fault. "He doesn't practice. He doesn't listen. Why, it's almost like he doesn't want to learn the piano!" Ignorance with these teachers reigns supreme, and you are paying for it.

Thus, with your reasonable goal in mind, set out to find a teacher who matches your child's needs. If your child is talented and already accomplished, by all means seek out the highest conventional qualifications.

But, if your child is a normal six year old in America in 2009, think again. These kids have tremendous creativity, but the teacher must be clever enough to find ways to have the child adopt the curriculum as their own. If you force it, or use a curriculum that bores them, it will be over very quickly.

You might seek out someone who strikes you as having the following qualities, in addition to their musical resume:

  • Game show host: don't underestimate the importance of fun.

  • Patient. Biblically patient.

  • Child psychologist: Find a way to run the lessons without being oppressive. It's after school and it's an elective. Lighten up.

 To answer your question finally:

If you force a child to play the piano, you will never get them to enjoy it. Even if they have potential talent and interest, the wrong first teacher can destroy that interest in a matter of days.

By John Aschenbrenner Copyright 2008 Walden Pond Press All Rights Reserved

 Click here to return the the main articles page.

PIANO FUNHOUSE: Free Online Piano Games for Kids

TOPICS OF INTEREST TO PARENTS:

"What is a good age to start piano lessons?"

"What are the benefits of playing piano for my child?"

"How can I help my child read sheet music at the piano?"

Piano Lessons: A Child's Point of View

Visit the WALDEN POND PRESS ARCHIVES and read articles about children and piano

Click here to read the entire tutorial HOW TO TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ MUSIC

LET US HELP YOU FIND AN INEXPENSIVE ELECTRONIC KEYBOARD TO GET YOUR CHILD STARTED!

 

PIANO IS EASY BOOK PACKAGE INCLUDES:

PIANO IS EASY (ISBN # 0-9718936-1-6) Sturdily bound, durable, colorful 120 page illustrated song book with 50 songs such as Jingle Bells and London Bridge, Play Along Audio CD and removable numbered stickers. 

Every book package order of PIANO IS EASY includes a copy of I CAN READ MUSIC. This fun, easy-to-understand music activity book is the best way to start children reading music. Click here for sample pages.

Every book package order of PIANO IS EASY includes a FREE copy of the 56 minute DVD video from TEACH YOURSELF PIANO. This video will have you playing chords (three piano keys played with the left hand) and fun, familiar songs with both hands right away. That's a $16.95 value free!

2 BOOKS,  PLAY ALONG AUDIO CD and DVD 

Click here for a list of songs.    Click here for sample pages.

PIANO IS EASY BOOK PACKAGE $39.95   

 PIANO IS EASY book package includes a 107 page song book with 44 songs and removable stickers, plus a Play Along Audio CD, free DVD and copy of the book  I CAN READ MUSIC.

You can also purchase individual books with CD $24.95

Click here to visit the PIANO IS EASY home page!

Order Form | See Our Books | Videos & DVD's | Home | Contact Us | FAQ